Saturday, July 16, 2011

Food...#2

2. Lately I seem to be spending inordinate amounts of time in my small and grimy kitchen labouring over the stove. But it's a good thing- and I enjoy it- especially that sort of cooking that allows me to be creative, experimental - it gives me a source of recreational pleasure. It is cathartic when things go right, and very frustrating when they don't. Tonight I am riding on a culinary wave of pleasure- although not everything went to plan I still managed to make a beautiful three course meal.
We started with chicken and spinach soup, (from a recipe my Mother gave me, which is basically chicken thighs, garlic, coriander and spinach, and is really delicious), then had the braised veal shanks on cous-cous, which were beautifully fragrant with lemon-rind, garlic and parsley, (we ate one between us), and finished with pears poached in red wine and custard. Tea and cherry-bite pods to finish.
 While I was cooking the veal, I also threw together a bolognese sauce, for easy meals through the week.
 The veal was an absolute triumph- unctious, melting in the mouth.
But the red wine poaching liquid was nothing short of a coup. I strained and reduced the cinnamon and vanilla flavoured ruby liquid once I had removed the pears. It turned syrupy (once I added a bit more sugar) and I felt as though I had become an alchemist discovering that I had made gold. It was sublime. But way too powerful to use more than a few dribbles on the dessert. So now I know why chefs only smear the smallest amounts of such essences of pungency: for effect, and for balance.
 The flavours nearly knocked me out, and yes I had served myself way too much, but I know I will wake up tomorrow wondering when I can justify eating it again, and probably stress all day wondering if my chef son will get to taste it.
 (This is so ironic- I am watching Julie and Julia and Julie and her husband have just had the big fight scene, after her grand obsession has caused their relationship to be put under tonnes of pressure). I am fortunate to have married a man almost like Julia's husband and therefore an appreciative supporter of me when I get a cooking mojo on. I am also unfortunate enough to have more of a disposition like the "Julie" of the movie, and am more than a wee bit self-involved at times...
 Hey it's all good, we ate really well tonight, and it's good for our home environment...
I am feeling rather chilled and fulfilled right now
 Thanks God for food...and for grand obsessions.
Ps I am going to use the other poached pears and make a proper pear tart tomorrow. To serve with a blob of cream. Can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! You should take photos and put them up too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Sus, you're right- I should, well I did- I just need to follow thru... which I will when I'm in another time wastin' mood : )

    ReplyDelete



Followers