Monday, July 11, 2011

Food

Ok, so what does this foody write and talk about when she has left it several months and can hardly remember what has gone on worth writing about?

...Let's see...

1. Back in April I went with my family to a little roadside cafe, to celebrate my birthday, called the Elkhorn roadhouse - it was a lovely little rural eatery, on the Bellarine Peninsular with a small but tasty menu. The service was great, and the food well executed. I had the ham-steak and braised cabbage sandwich- it was not too salty at all- but juicy and sweet, made with the beautiful Istra Ham. The local wine from the nearby Leura Park Estate was a very crisp young bubbly, which suited our occasion well. Johnny and Sam both had really generous and well dressed hamburgers, and the girls, pumpkin and prosciutto pizzas. We also shared really good herbed potato chunks, and a tasting plate. The delicious pate was a generous and moreish serve. We didn't even try to resist dessert, and my Tipsy Pudding was a delicious, sweet, whiskey soaked treat. Sam's creamed sponge was probably as good as my mother-in-law's, and that's saying something. We left there stuffed full but quite happy- and thanks go to Sam's old boss for giving us the heads-up on this place.
 Elkhorn Roadhouse make their own range of preserves as well as run the well patronised cafe, and these look very tempting-- Berry, peach jams- I didn't get any but will be back for some I'm sure.
The food at Elkhorn warms the cockles and has that cosy home-made quality, but also has that gourmet touch- it is made with the best quality local produce, and is done well.
I was really happy to find an out of town place to have a little family birthday. I didn't want anything flashy that trumpetted it's own merits- so Elkhorn was just the ticket. It's decor reminds you of a roadside cafe, and nothing more ostentatious than that. I needed to fulfill that desire to go somewhere away from the "Burbs" and somewhere as a family we could be that would treated like valued guests.
And so we were~!

No comments:

Post a Comment



Followers