Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Breakdown Town

   Recently I spent weeks on the north coast of NSW- where my brother and I had a few good days together, something we hadn't done in many years. I have lived in Geelong for twenty one years now, and he has lived in and around Byron Bay all this time. We drifted into our own lives so much we found it hard to connect again, but now in our mid-40's find ourselves enjoying just hanging together, and most importantly we get each other.
   This little blues flavoured number was inspired by the number of broken down vehicles on the roadside as we drove from Brunswick Heads to Mullumbimby, which caused us to throw a few phrases together. We had fun.(It actually doesn't have a tune, but it really could go with any bluesy, sad progression of chords. Harmonica would be good. Even Banjo could work).
   
Driving down the highway, there's a break-down and another
Stranded people standing
helpless, by their broke-down cars....
Driving into
Breakdown city, and there's a man without a woman
There's a house without a roof and view through to the stars

(Chorus)
Breakdown Town, Breakdown Town
I'm heading back to familiar ground
Breakdown town

Coming back to Breakdown there's my kids without a dad
Sister's man has lost his marbles
and the school got burnt away
The vines and weeds are growing, the dog's without a bone
The town has got no mayor, and the hens forgot to lay

(Chorus)
Breakdown town, Breakdown town
I'm on familiar ground,
here in Breakdown Town.

(Bridge)
Where there's a girl without a boy, and a child without a toy
The heart has got no beat, the footpath has no street
Where the head has no thought, the school no lessons taught
the wall has no mortar, the father's without a daughter,
the wire's lost its spring, the Queen has misplaced her King
my mum's without her phone, my ice-cream has no cone
the grass has got no edge, the window has no ledge
I'm eating without a dish, and I've only got one wish
….
(Chorus)
to turn my back on Breakdown Town, Breakdown Town
that old familiar ground
Breakdown Town

No comments:

Post a Comment



Followers