Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ring Road Blues

There's a new highway, the Ring Road. Only 30 years too late, but there you are, it's new, it's special and it's fabulous.
And it bisects my countryside and it cuts a huge gash into the hills that loved to look down on as I drove along Scenic Road, from Highton down into the valley of the Barwon, and up the other side into Newtown and Herne Hill.
Those rolling green hills now carry the traffic around the skirts of the city and to the south and the sprawling suburbs and onto the Coast. Those rolling green hills now are giving birth to great open sores, scars of bare dirt which erupt into monolithic pimples, suburban palaces which are bigger and uglier than ever. The suits are very proud of their achievements and the big-arse 4 wheel drivers are owning it and the hoons are abusing it and it's not even a week old. So far I have driven on it about 6 times, and I have dreamt about it 4 nights in a row.
I never would have thought a road would affect my life so much.
But the new highway on the North coast Of NSW affected me too- and I don't even live there any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Followers